Thursday, February 4, 2010

Residents' Parking Victory - Battle Won but War still to be fought!


Hurrah, we won the battle, and residents' wishes will be fulfilled, with parking restrictions in Tiffany and Adele Courts to be aligned with adjacent streets! However, it wasn't easy and the struggle is far from over - we must remain vigilant! Moments before the council meeting where my motion was to be debated, an "officers recommendation" was tabled ahead of my more comprehensive motion. My motion, supported by the residents, called for immediate restrictions, a sweeping review and strategic plan, since we cannot keep tackling this issue piecemeal. The "officers' recommendation" just called for piecemeal installation of parking restrictions. In the end, both motions were passed, but not before some debate and angst before the meeting started!

Where we have to be vigilant, is around the enforcement of these new restrictions. As my frustrated friends, the residents of Hender Street, next to the Park & Ride will attest, enforcement can be patchy. Without effective enforcement, parking signs become mere street decorations and the culprits continue to thumb their noses at residents!

Belatedly I realised that my motion did not explicitly call for the development and implementation of an effective enforcement strategy (we have very few enforcement officers to cover a large area) ...... 
We may need to revisit this one yet, I fear. I will keep a watchful eye on this, but need your support and feedback to monitor it too. E-mail me at: ivan.reid AT manningham.vic.gov.au (substitute @ for AT). Contact the Leader Newspaper. Be vigilant.

No comments: