Friday, August 28, 2009

Don't give up little tram!



Today, I was officially informed that Cr. Gough met with the Mayor to express outrage at my tram article below. Cr Gough has stated he is seeking legal advice and has plans to sue me!

Such an approach is most disappointing. I believe that differences between people make the world a richer place, and strive to ensure freedom from discrimination, harassment and bullying. My blog is a means to share facts and opinions in our free society. If there is anything factually incorrect, I am always approachable and willing to resolve matters.

However, let me be perfectly clear:

1. I have stated that Cr. Gough and Cr. La Vella effectively voted against the tram, using the word “effectively” most deliberately, since this conveys my personal opinion of the effect that a vote against the motion would have had on the tram. Whether they are supportive of the tram and the degree or manner in which they choose to suport/oppose it, is for ratepayers to judge themselves, based on their actions and recorded speeches in the council chamber.

2. I do not resile from anything in my article; all quotes below are transcribed directly from an audio recording of the public meeting and can be verified once council publishes the audio.

Like the "little train that could", I will continue to “draw upon bravery and determination” to represent my fellow residents by being transparent and true. I am tolerant of constructive, robust debate and encourage all would-be politicians to do the same. Wish me luck!

No comments: